- Horrific human impacts; loss of life, displacement, emotional and physical trauma;
- Every minute, two people are killed in conflicts around the world
- Global displacement has reached crisis levels; Nearly 29 million people worldwide are currently displaced by armed conflict, violence, and human rights violations – the highest number ever recorded
- More than 1.5 billion people worldwide live in countries affected by conflict
- Women and children are particularly affected by war and conflict;
- Nearly 90% of casualties of conflict are civilians, and most of these are women and children
- Sexual violence and rape are increasingly used as strategies of war
- Devastation of economy in regions affected by conflict further increases poverty and inequality and contributes to continuum of violence
- Environmental destruction resulting from warfare; bombing and chemical warfare contaminate entire ecosystems and devastate landscapes which in turn affects human and wild life
- Environmental destruction resulting from conflict-related consumption; large quantities of resources are needed to militarize a society and engage in war, from natural resources used in nuclear weaponry to fossil fuel consumption for planes, tanks, and marine vessels
“Wars push number of internally displaced people to record levels,” The Guardian.
“Inequality Statistics,” Womankind Worldwide.
“Fragile and Conflict Affected Countries,” The World Bank Institute.