Nobel Women’s Initiative is pleased to announce the release of our 2016 Annual Report! 2016 was a big year as we celebrated the organization’s 10th anniversary, released a book and more—and we’re so excited to share it with you!
A few highlights from 2016:
- In February, Nobel Peace laureates Jody Williams and Rigoberta Menchú Tum stood in solidarity with the brave Mayan women going up against the Guatemalan military in the landmark Sepur Zarco trial—and then visited the women in May to celebrate their win in this precedent-setting case!
- Laureate Leymah Gbowee spoke at the Commission on the Status of Women on putting the recommendations of the Global Study on UN Security Council Resolution 1325 into action
- Mairead Maguire joined the Women’s Boat to Gaza, a humanitarian voyage of women activists protesting the Israeli blockade of Gaza.
- Laureates Shirin Ebadi and Tawakkol Karman hosted a convening of women peacebuilders in Jordan.
- Nobel Women’s Initiative launched “When We Are Bold: Women Who Turn Our Upsidedown World Right” at the Ottawa Writers Festival.
- In September, we commemorated 10 years of women-led action for peace, celebrating with partners and supporters in Ottawa, and online through our photo gallery of 100 photos from the past decade!
In 2016, four young women activists from Burma, Colombia, Iran and Syria joined us in Ottawa for the Sister-to-Sister Mentorship Program. See the last page of the report to meet these powerful young women and learn more about their work.
Finally, a financial summary of our year is on the fourth page.