POSITION: Advocacy Volunteer –Advocacy & Communications
A commitment of at least 28-30 hours per week for a minimum of 12 weeks is required
The Nobel Women’s Initiative uses the prestige of the Nobel Peace Prize and six courageous women peace laureates to magnify the power and visibility of women working in countries around the world for peace, justice and equality. The Nobel Women’s Initiative is based in Ottawa, Ontario.
We are looking for a dynamic activist who wants to learn more about how women’s rights organizations work and make a meaningful contribution to our campaigns. This is an opportunity to further the work of the Nobel Women’s Initiative by supporting the advocacy and communications teams at the Nobel Women’s Initiative.
The volunteer may undertake the following responsibilities to support the organization:
- Assisting with planning, logistics, and/or communications for our upcoming conference in Liberia.
- Support for online launch of a new Nobel Women’s Initiative project.
- Online research and media searches for topics important to Nobel Women’s Initiative work.
- Drafting background documents, impact reports, briefing papers, blog posts and other advocacy communications materials.
- Assist in arranging and preparing meetings with decision-makers, letter-writing, writing public statements, representing the Nobel Women’s Initiative in meetings and other activities as necessary.
- Assist in media tracking and media outreach.
- Assist in planning and preparation for an upcoming delegation.
- Updating of the Nobel Women’s Initiative website and/or social media channels through developing new content, updating existing content.
- Topic specific research and writing as needed (for reports, website, etc).
- Administrative/operational support for effective functioning of the Nobel Women’s Initiative office (filing, faxing, mail-outs, etc).
- Administrative and logistical support for Nobel Women’s Initiative projects, meetings and events.
- Other projects as requested.
- A commitment of at least 24-30 hours per week for a minimum of 12 weeks is required
- This is an unpaid volunteer opportunity
- You will be based in the Ottawa, Ontario, Canada office and must live in the area or be willing to relocate temporarily for the duration of the placement
- Passion for women’s rights, equality and justice; a belief that organizations and individuals can change the world
- Experience working with social media tools, including Facebook, Twitter, etc., in an organizational setting
- Excellent English written and oral communication skills
- Knowledge of how organizations can harness social media to achieve program goals
- Strong research skills
- Strong computer skills
- Activist experience
- The ability to take initiative on projects and work independently
- The ability to be creative, flexible and adaptable
- A university degree or equivalent work experience
The Nobel Women’s Initiative believes strongly in mentoring young activists, and our volunteer program is a key piece of that work. As a volunteer with the Nobel Women’s Initiative, you will:
- Do substantive work in support of our programming areas (policy and advocacy, communications, logistics)
- Work alongside seasoned activists with more than 20 years of international women’s rights and peacebuilding experience
- Receive extensive orientation and training with our staff team
- Gain valuable skills, applicable in a wide variety of work environments (for example, concrete social media skills, drafting policy documents, writing advocacy letters, organizing international events)
- Work very closely with our small core team, including full involvement in staff and planning meetings
- Have weekly meetings with your supervisor, where you have the opportunity to give and receive feedback, and highlight learning objectives
- Make connections to a global network of women’s organizations and activists
- Have the opportunity to attend workshops and special events related to global women’s rights, sponsored by Nobel Women’s Initiative
Past volunteers of the Nobel Women’s Initiative have gone on to a wide variety of work, including posts in international locations, work with other local NGOs, and graduate school.
If you are interested in gaining experience with a premiere international women’s rights organization in Ottawa, and contributing to our efforts for peace, justice and equality, please send a cover letter outlining your motivation for applying along with your resume to: email@example.com by SUNDAY, JANUARY 20TH AT 11:59 PM.
Please use the subject line ‘Winter Internship —Advocacy & Communications’ when applying.
We thank all those who apply but only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Please no phone, email or walk-in inquiries.
For more information about the Nobel Women’s Initiative, and our team, please visit www.nobelwomensinitiative.org.